VFMS PTO Board Meeting Notes
October 17, 2016
Call to Order
- The meeting began at 12pm. In attendance were Ankur Kashyap, Diana Ecker, Jennifer Newhall, Dalia Osman, Demer Holleran, Tereza Keohane, Emily Brunner, Stacy Pellegrini, Jeanne Braun, Andrea Rayner.
- Ankur introduced and welcomed our Executive Vice President, Daina Ecker.
- The minutes from the September PTO meeting were reviewed an approved.
Update from Treasurer –
- Please see attached financial statements.
- As of 10/17/16 the direction donation campaign has received $11,866.00 59% of our goal.
Update from VP Fundraising
- The Direct Donation campaign letter was sent home to all students and their families the week of September 26th. The letter has also been repeated in the weekly PTO blasts as well. The campaign is off to a strong start. We will add the donation counter to the PTO website and the blasts and also make sure that the acknowledgement ticker is also included on the website and blasts.
- We are encouraging all students to vote on which item they would like to purchase with the direct donations (water fountain, new library furniture, ipads, lap tops). It is hoped that giving the students the opportunity to vote will encourage student involvement and increase participation in the campaign.
- We will be having a joint fundraising day at Mod Pizza, 5 Below, Starbucks, Kiwi and Whole Foods. The date is TBD.
- The Fall Book Fair will be November 11-13th at Barnes and Noble. A portion of the proceeds from book and cheesecake sales will be donated to the VFMS PTO by Barnes and Noble.
- There will be an online coupon code for those who are unable to make it to the Barnes and Noble Book Fair. The portion of proceeds shared with VFMS PTO will be less with the use of the coupon code than with an in store purchase.
Update on Volunteers and Communications – No Update
Update from VP Social –
- The Walk to School Day committee has been moved under VP Socials.
Update from Cultural Arts
- “Comedy Sports,” an improvisational comedy, will be presenting to the students on November 7th along with a community show on November 11th at VFMS.
- “Almanac Dance Circus Theater” will be presenting to the entire school in March 2017.
Update from Matt Gibson
- There is a new process to sign-up for parent-teacher conferences. The sign-ups will occur online, using the parent portal “Home Access Center.” This program was tested in the elementary schools last year and is being rolled out to the middle schools. A letter explaining the process will be sent home on October 21st.
- The children and staff very much enjoyed the Kwami Alexander assembly.
- There will be a district wide in-service day on November 8th, no school for the students.
- There will be ½ day of school on November 22nd for parent-teacher conferences in the afternoon, as well as a full day off for students for parent-teacher conferences on November 28. This coincides with the Thanksgiving holiday break on November 23, 24, and 25.
- Mr. Gibson spoke with the student council to get feedback on their wish list for improvements around the school. The water bottle water fountains topped the list followed by new library furniture.
- The VP of Fundraising (Tereza Koehane) asked if the teachers could be presented with samples of the cheese cakes that will be for sale during the book fair at Barnes and Noble, this was approved by Mr. Gibson.
- The Secretary (Jennifer Newhall) requested that all the fall sports teams be given pink t-shirts/jerseys to be worn during an October game to support the Breast Cancer Awareness month. Mr. Gibson will speak with Dr. Hickey, and try to implement this for next year.
Update from T/E school District Community and Volunteer coordinator – Jeanne Braun
- ARCH will be presenting the PA Youth Survey (PAYS) results on November 3rd at 9:00 am at the District Offices.
- On November 9th ARCH will host a community presentation of “If Only” a short film by the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation along with a panel discussion to raise awareness about the dangers of prescription drug misuse and abuse. Community members, 7th grade and older are encouraged to attend. This program will also be presented to the Conestoga high school students during class time.
- On December 6th at 7pm in the TEMS auditorium, ARCH will host, Dr. Ken Ginsberg, who will give a presentation to the community on Building Resilience in Children and Adolescents.
The November board meeting has been moved to November 14th at 12:00pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 pm.