Compiled and edited by Kusuma Muglurmath
Meeting commenced at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- Un Kyong Ho
- Principal Gibson
- Amy Terlecki
- Kusuma Muglurmath
- Michelle Iwachiw
- Anjali Gupta
- Lucy Bennet
- Versha Shah
- Emily Carteen
- Chrystelle Baden DeSouza
- Megan Edwards
- Tereza Keohane
- Amy Saylor
Call to order
The board welcomed all new members.
Principle Gibson’s Updates
- Students are coming in after a long break into school and are getting used to some changes in the building.
- Students have been wonderful and compliant.
- We want it to be a quarterly system.
- 8th grade finals will not be held moving forward.
- Events that involve large groups have moved virtual at the moment.
- Planning 5th grade fall field day.
- We are postponing some presentations to be held in the auditorium.
- We are limiting the time kids spend in the auditorium.
- Curriculum nights are moved to online as socially distancing is not possible.
- If children stay home due to sickness or contact tracing, teachers work with them upon returning to school to aid catching up with class materials.
- Homework and classwork are posted on schoology daily for review.
- Teachers share each other’s methods and resources that can be used to get the kids caught up.
- Mr. Gibson noted down suggestions for emails to be sent to parents whose child does not follow masking requirements – notifying them of specific consequences.
- If students behave badly on the bus, the issue will be addressed at school on a case by case basis.
- Health screenings went well but slowly.
- The board checked on the status of the Audion amount.
- Suggestions were made to incorporate more covered outdoor spaces for students to use.
Board member introductions:
- Lucy Bennet: Worked in PR, marketing, social media.
- Emily Carteen: Studied in the district, producer for TV, VP of fundraising at VFES.
- Amy Terlecki: An artist, has done murals at the district libraries.
- Amy Saylor: VP of socials at VFES.
- Anjali Gupta: A background in finance, working as a product manager at a software company.
- Michele Iwachiw: Worked in finance before.
- Un Kyong Ho: TV Documentary Producer, TE Library system board member. Taking a sabbatical to integrate her children into school who are in 5th grade and 9th grade.
President’s updates – Un Kyong Ho
- Very happy with the website that is operating smoothly.
- Got directory access yesterday.
- Working on G-Suite set up with Kym.
- The Green team recycling program is moving forward.
- Girls on the Run – 5th grade all coaches are in.
- Girls on the Run is looking to run the program for older girls.
- Will meet with Kusuma, Lucy, and Judy to discuss calendar plugins.
- Will get in touch with the Treasury for driver appreciation decision.
- Plan to meet with Fran regarding fundraising and budget.
Cultural events Amy Terlecki and Megan Edwards
- An artist is asking for a travel expense refund in an event of cancellation. The date is in February.
- The team discussed payment options for an author.
- How do we solicit direct donations?
- Should we allow direct donations as a link with the online directory?
- We need to ask Kym to add different payment options such as Venmo.
- Different payment options were discussed for purchases on the PTO site.
- Quite a few locker shelves came in.
- Magnet sales payment methods were discussed.
Fundraising report – Versha Shah and Emily Carteen
- Upcoming events – Directory sales, Choola fundraiser, fall marathon.
- Spirit wear design: Discussed the angry looking eagle mascot.
- Should we hold a design contest to come up with a better looking eagle?
- We can ask students to design the eagle – make it a design marathon.
- We can include students’ design winners for the image.
- We could have a contest in spring for participating graphic design artists.
- Un Kyong: Will talk to TE President to work together to reduce shipping costs for spirit wear.
- The board brainstormed holding trivia for parents and fundraising via trivia tickets.
Treasury report – Michelle Iwachiw and Anjali Gupta
- The treasury report and the set goals for the year were discussed.
- Bus driver appreciation participation was discussed.
Golden Apple Grant – Tereza Keohane
- A request has come in for some decals – from Dr. Settle.
- Parents can request a Golden Apple Grant as well.
- We could possibly ask for outdoor spaces for children to use.
Parent Socials – Amy Saylor and Chrystelle Baden DeSouza
Can we do socials with Trivia?
E-blast topics were enumerated and added.
Meeting concluded at 10:20 PM
Next Meeting : October 7, 2021