VFMS PTO Meeting Minutes 10/20/2020
Meeting began at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- · Un Kyong Ho
- · Versha Shah
- · Heather McConnell
- · Chrystele Baden Desouza
- · Shilpa Gupta
- · Marisol Perez
- · Judy Reiter
- · Amy Terlecki
- · Danyll Lockett
- · Kusuma Muglurmath
- · Michelle Iwachiw
- · Colleen Barth
- · Megan Edwards
- · Amanda Ivory
Call to order
Principal Gibson’s updates
Beginning Hybrid school:
- Hybrid school went well last week with only 5th graders in school getting used to the school.
- This week has been great with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders who are happy to be back in school.
- COVID screening is going well. We are expediting the process.
- Parents please do not use the bus circle to drop off after 8 a.m.
- After 8, parents can drop students off in the back by room 118 or in the front parking lot.
- Children who arrive before 8:15 are sent to the small gym to wait. Only a small group will be waiting in any given area.
- Buses get here on time usually at 8:15.
- Buses are lightly used at this time, which is what we had hoped for.
- Kids take a quick mask break socially distanced and outside.
- They take a break to use the restroom.
- Kids have been great and are following what we call Covid courtesy.
- We will continue to work with students to maintain social distancing.
- When teachers need to take off their mask, they socially distance themselves to do so. Their desks are equipped with plexiglass. They work behind that.
- Parental anecdotes are making a huge difference, more than ever. Teachers are uplifted by specific stories that parents can share.
- Lunch time is getting better after some adjustments.
- Please talk to your kids where you will be picking them up to avoid delays and confusion.
Music, sports, grades, Halloween, other:
- Library and music information is coming up.
- We are meeting tomorrow to finalize the schedule.
- Nurse at TE middle put together a 10 min. hygiene video showing how to take care of ourselves during Covid. This will be shown to kids during advisory next week.
- Dr. Rothera is working to create picture day opportunities for both hybrid and virtual students. The dates are: Nov 9, 11, and 13. More information will be shared.
- She is working with Barksdale Studios for scheduling.
- Look for Halloween info coming up this week.
- Also, information on quarter less grading coming up.
- Report cards will be sent on Nov 13 to families whose students gain 70% or less. All others can check their report cards on Schoology.
- Health checkups are going well. We may also incorporate the app that the high school is using to better serve families.
- Sports-we are asked to hold off until early Nov. We will hold sports as long as we are able to.
Update from T&E Care – Amanda Ivory
- Please visit tecare.org frequently as it is updated often.
- Turkey donation slots are full. Thanks to all the families that donated.
- Raffle drawing is on the 23rd. It will be done virtually.
- When you buy a raffle ticket, you can find general info posted regarding how the money is used to help children and families.
- Holiday drive goes on Nov 11- Dec 4.
- All wish lists will be posted.
- Each school has its own drive, collects care packs.
- List of things considered this year are blankets, Walmart/Target gift cards.
- We are also discussing Venmo contribution instead of collecting these items to make things safer and easier.
T&E care is continuing to help families with meals, rent, car repair etc.
President’s updates – Un Kyong Ho
- We should contribute to appreciate custodial and cafeteria staff.
- We could also solicit words of appreciation for staff.
- Megan Edwards: Can we add something for holidays to appreciate custodial staff?
- Heather: We must ask before Thanksgiving.
- Danyll: During (in-kind, non monetary) staff appreciation every year, other staff is included as well.
- Chrystelle: Most of the staff was included, but not the custodial staff.
- Shilpa: As half the school is doing virtual, parents might want to add their teacher appreciation funds virtually.
- Board voted for teacher appreciation for holidays and to include support staff.
- Direct donation letters must be sent to ramp up direct donations.
- Will touch base with Tereza regarding direct donations letters.
- Danyll: We pay postage for direct donation letters.
- Michelle: I can help with stuffing envelopes using my machine if I have the envelopes and letters.
New Board members welcome:
- Bobby Campbell – VP Social media for communications.
- Volunteers for two dental clinic posts.
Updates from Parent Social – Chrystele Baden Desouza
- Welcome Cmte forms are up on the PTO website.
- Dr. Rothera invited new 7th and 8th grade families to welcome them.
- I was able to distribute Welcome Cmte forms to new families at that time.
- Please let me know if anyone wants to be on the Welcome Cmte.
- Duties are simple. You connect with the new families and ask them if they have any questions that you can answer.
- Versha: Can the form be edited in terms of links? Can there be two categories, one for info links and another for actionable links?
- Sent welcome letter blast to new families. New family information was shared by Dr. Rothera.
- We were not allowed inside the building hence Halloween decoration inside the school plans did not work.
- Would like to spread the word to encourage participation.
- Judy: Social media is one big way to go.
- Versha: PTO per grade announcements should help.
- Shilpa: Regarding Halloween photo contest prizes. We are giving one prize per category. Do we have the budget for additional $30 dollars towards prizes?
- Danyll: Some returns are made. Hence the amount will even out.
- Marisol: I was in the Diversity Cmte in elementary school and wrote minutes to share with the school community. I can do the same for VFMS?
- The board welcomed the idea.
Fundraising report – Versha Shah and Heather McConnell
Fly Eagles Tri:
- Fly Eagles Tri was a huge success.
- 112 kids logged 3000 miles.
- Lots of inquiries have arrived regarding medal pickup. We are working on announcing pick up details.
Berwyn restaurant food pickup:
- The restaurant cannot honor percent of proceeds towards the PTO. It is offering only delivery fees towards the PTO.
- Board: Better look for another place that honors % of proceeds.
- Un Kyong: Sweet Jazmine’s in Berwyn could be explored. I will contact them for further details.
Spirit wear sales:
- Heather: A total of $4,446.60 has been sold.
- Kusuma: Is there a possibility of another sales opportunity? Some families might have missed the purchasing window.
- Heather: A sale can be held in spring for spring spirit wear.
- Colleen: You could do another flash sale during the holiday window.
- Board encouraged both the flash sale and the spring sale.
- Scripps fundraiser could continue with simple promoting.
- Scripps wants to do direct deposit into PTO bank accounts. Should we share our bank account info?
- Un Kyong: Could we set up an ancillary account?
- Danyll: They could pay us via PayPal which is setup in the PTO membership toolkit.
- Heather: Will check on those two options.
Communications report – Judy Reiter
- Please send your updates by Friday so that I can post them over the weekend.
- Planning to invite Kym Costanzo(the web administrator for our PTO site) to one of our upcoming meetings to tell us what she can do for us so we can all understand her services that we are paying her for.
- Danyll: Domain expires on Nov 10. We need to plan renewal ahead of time.
- Un Kyong: We should go ahead and renew it.
Treasury report – Danyll Lockett and Michelle Iwachiw
- Danyll: I appreciate great fundraising efforts by Versha, Heather and Amy. In addition, we need to ramp up direct donations.
- Directory sales are down $1,000 vs. last year
- We pay postage for direct donation letters for which the estimated cost would be at $600. However, it is worth the cost.
- We utilize a two sided letter – front: is the ask; back: is the form to return with checks.
- This was enclosed with an envelope to send in the applications.
- Un Kyong: We should go ahead with direct donation mailings. Will work with Tereza on making it happen.
Sunday blast topics:
COVID Protocols, Amazon Smiles, Halloween, and Direct Donations.
Meeting ended at 9:00 PM