VFMS PTO Minutes March 8 2022
Compiled and edited by Amy Terlecki and Kusuma Muglurmath
Meeting commenced at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- Un Kyong Ho
- Mr. Gibson
- Amy Terlecki
- Lucy Bennet
- Amy Saylor
- Judy Reiter
- Kusuma Muglurmath
- Erika Dawson
- Jenny Ham-Roberts
- Megan Edwards
- VP Volunteer
- Emily Puk Carteen
Call to order:
Principal Gibson’s Update:
- Transitioning from mask to choice going smoothly, no major issues, mixed masking in classes. Teachers sometimes take masks off for instruction then put it back on for monitoring.
- Lunches – outside still an option. More room in the auditorium. No concerns reported yet.
- Play is coming up, if it goes well it will possibly allow more students & families in seats for upcoming spring concerts.
- Spring sports starting soon – bus shortage means most games will be home games
- PSSA’s next month – Dr. Turk may attend the next meeting to explain opt out changes.
- Course selection will likely be electronic again. Math & Reading recommendations will be given for 5th & 6th grades, 7th & 8th world language instead of reading. If students switch languages it is usually best to do so in 7th, harder in 8th.
- Graduation promotion ceremony – most families liked outside so it will likely stay outside depending on weather. June 13 or 14 likely. Goal for more traditional graduation ceremony/celebration
- Audio update – supply chain issues
President’s Update: Un Kyong Ho
- Direct Donations went out
- Golden apple grant 2 teachers asking for reading support ~ $200 – puts us over budget but attendees voted yes
- Library received chess sets from our requests in blast
Fundraising Report: Emily Puk Carteen
- New logo in the works, Lindsey Strippoli doing pro bono
- Spirit wear not likely in spring due to supply chain issues, but possibly do a back to school sale
- Philadelphia Union Fundraiser – 100 seats, May 14th, 7:30pm, $33/ticket
- Chipolte fundraiser – 4/26, 33% give back, $150 minimum, order online with code or in person
- Collection for Teacher/Staff Appreciation
- 5/2-6 (off Monday)
- Suggested doing a “soft” ask starting next week and push for more donations after Spring Break
Diversity Equity Inclusion Update – Jenny Ham-Roberts & Erika Dawson
- Goal to identify what the school needs rather than a 1 off event.
- Middle school team SOAR “Students Organizing Against Racism” already exists and might be a good group to team up with for DEI. Diverse group of students across various grades.
- Dr. Rothera said books supporting DEI would be helpful
- Equity team looking for help in identifying ways to deal with issues including consequences, acknowledging issues, and parental involvement and influence when dealing with issues that come up.
Treasury Update – Anjali Gupta
- A note that the direct donation letter is gone and we have started receiving donations from parents.
- Direct donation almost at goal $6000 of $8000 goal reached so far.
- What are we doing about magnet and sticker sales?
- Employer match raised about $1500 from DD, should push more employer matching.
- We received an additional $151 from Amazon smile.
- In profit for now
- Will issue the golden apple grant checks to Madelyn Dorville – $200, Kate mcclain – 300
- Taxes filed
- We should be issuing thank you note in blast or otherwise to parents for donations since Sept – Lucy and Un will work on that.
Cultural Arts Update – Amy Terlecki & Megan Edwards
- Waiting to find out if we can have in person events
- Currently under budget
- Author visits went well
Communications – Judy Reiter & Lucy Bennett
- Update with new info asap for website and blast
Meeting concluded at 8:30 PM
Next meeting April 5th 7pm