VFMS PTO Meeting Minutes 3/7/2023
Attendance: President Lucy Bennett, Principal Matt Gibson, Alora Chirchick, Amy Saylor, Pamela Badolato, Amy Terlecki, May Mon Post, Anjali Gupta, Jenny Ham-Roberts, Lauren Lentz, Erika Dawson,Jayeeta, Lesley Farrell
Lucy Bennett – Introduction and description of agenda
Mr. Gibson Report
- School musical “Into the Woods” coming up!
- Day Performances scheduled for March 15th (5th and 6th graders will attend) and March 16th (Hillside and New Eagle elementary schools will attend)
- Evening/Weekend Performances scheduled for March 17th (evening at 7pm) and Saturday, March 18th at 2pm
- Course selection for grades 5, 6, 7 will be soon
- Current Grades 5, 6 & 7: From March 22 through March 31, teachers will put recommendations for course selection into power school. Parents can review from April 10 through 18. Parents will also need to complete “Intent to Return” form to indicate child will return to school for 2023-24 year.
- Current 4th Graders: Course selections to be in Powerschool from April 20 to 28
- Marking period ends March 31. Grades will be in Powerschool about week later
- Then Spring Break! (Week of April 3, 2023)
- 4th grade transition night will be on Wed. May 24, 2023 at 7pm
- PTO member to attend to discuss how parents can get involved
- PSSAs coming up in April and May
- Language Arts – April 25-27 (Grades 5-8)
- Math – May 2 & 3 (Grades 5-8)
- Science – May 4 & 5 (only 8th grade)
- Algebra 1 – May 17 & 18
- 8th grade parents –
- Graduation scheduled for June 13 outside (tentative per weather). 9am. Rain date will be June 14.
- Parent Drop off/Pick up procedures
- Reminder that safety is of paramount importance
- Everyone must drive slowly and stay aware that they are at a school with many children
- Please be patient!
President Update: Lucy Bennett
- Voted to approve Minutes from last month’s meeting – Approved!
- PTO did not have February Leadership Social – wasn’t a lot of interest. Will try for end of year.
- TE Elementary schools each have scheduled presentation about enrollment. District is considering options for adding another Elementary School to address increased enrollment and possibly allow for full day Kindergarten. Attendance at meetings is encouraged to learn about these options.
- Question as to whether collecting Box Tops would be good fundraiser
- Determined that now that the physical box tops are not collected, the process is more difficult to use and not as worthwhile
- Lucy – will remove it from the PTO email blast and not pursue further this year
- Looking toward next year’s PTO and thinking about positions – need to start considering this for next year
Reports from PTO members
Fundraising: Emily Carteen & Amy Saylor
- Spiritwear – Emily
- Spiritwear store is up and running!
- Anchors Away allows ongoing sales – intent is to keep it open through the end of the school year. Will close at end of year and then re-open next year.
- Flyers/Union – Emily
- Fundraised monies from Flyers Family night sales should be coming to PTO soon. Once season is over, will receive second check for remaining Flyers tickets sold through PTO.
- Fundraised monies from Philadelphia Union sales also should be arriving soon
- Family night at restaurant
- Amy has been talking with restaurant in King of Prussia and is trying to schedule family night
- Tile Fundraiser – Amy
- Sales form for Tile Fundraiser has been created. Tiles will be sold to kids for about a week. Goal is to hand tiles/supplies out before or soon after Spring break
- Principal Gibson confirmed that tiles can be placed outside of cafeteria
Volunteers: Amy Saylor
- Will be reaching out about intent to return next year and will reach out to elementary school as well about rising PTO members
Treasurer: Anjali Gupta
- Treasurer Statement published with meeting minutes on PTO website
- Will make annual donations as in past years
- Lucy – PTO could use another fundraising push for annual fund
Golden Apple Grants: Pamela Badalato
- Beth Davison in Library requested $58.24 for new signage to highlight popular graphic novel section in library.
- PTO Voted and Golden Apple Grant Approved!
- Kristine Gregg in Room 119 – requested $100.00 to purchase supplies for tower garden (planting medium, nutrients, water testing, etc.).
- Community Service Club grows/maintains the tower plants.
- Family Consumer Science class (grade 7) uses the plants. Also used for beautification.
- PTO Voted and Golden Apple Grant Approved!
- Pamela will look into booking La Cabra for VFMS parent social- will try for a Friday night
Cultural Arts: Amy Terlecki & Alora Chirchick
- March 23: Scheduled 5th grade assembly on Ancient Egypt
- March 3: 6th grade assembly on History of Pop was very successful; children really enjoyed it
- Main Point Books will be getting check for Nathan Hale fundraiser to PTO
- Nathan Hale event was very successful!
DEI: Erika Dawson & Jenny Ham-Roberts
- March 16 event must be postponed due to speaker conflict. To be rescheduled for April
- Considering DEI social
T & E Care
- Lucy – will be doing school supply drive in Spring – details to follow
Communications: no report
Directory: no report
Blast: no report
Facebook: no report
Green Team: no report
BUILD T/E: no report
School Board: no report
- Next Meeting is April 11, 2023 via Zoom (Note that it is the second Tuesday because of Spring Break)
Notes Compiled by Lesley Farrell