Meeting commenced at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- Un Kyong Ho
- Matt Gibson
- Amy Terlecki
- Kusuma Muglurmath
- Michelle Iwachiw
- Megan Edwards
- Versha Shah
- Shilpa Gupta
- Melissa Hough
Call to order:
Update from T&E Care – Amanda Ivory via Un Kyong Ho
- Annual holiday drive is underway.
- VFMS is collecting blankets, gift cards for Walmart/Target in sealed envelopes.
- One can drop off the gift cards to the greeter at the door at school.
- Venmo donations are also accepted this year.
- Please visit tecare.org for more details.
- Question for Amanda: How many deposits have come in?
Update from Principal Gibson
- More clubs are up and running virtually.
- Sectionals are going on.
- Art teachers want to do something creative for the kids.
- Looking to create outdoor opportunities. However, bound by county regulations.
- We are using the Powerschool app to get in the parent check in-will put up a blurb explaining its use, to expedite the check in process.
- Keystone Algebra 1 exams have been postponed.
- Parent coffees are going virtual.
- Working with counselors to set up an agenda for the meetings.
- Planning to share strategies with parents to work with this unusual school year.
- Hoping to help build a sense of strong community through this effort.
- Dates are coming up via Schoology.
- 5th grade virtual coffee: Dec 11th at 10:30 am
- 6th grade virtual coffee: Dec 10th at 1:35 pm
- 7th grade virtual coffee: Dec 8th at 8:30 am
- 8th grade virtual coffee: Dec 15th at 8:30 am
- Fall parent conferences went well. As the conferences were virtual this year, parents who were at work could join as well.
Welcome and update from Dental Clinic – Melissa Hough
- Welcome to Melissa, our new Dental clinic volunteer and a parent of a VFMS student. We are glad to have you on the board.
- Working with the school nurse for scheduling.
- Would love to work on the clinical side should the opportunity arise.
- Reached out to the school social worker.
- The Raffle for the dental clinic will go out tonight.
- We hold this Raffle in mid Nov.
President’s Update – Un Kyong Ho
- If anyone has information to be shared, you can create a blurb and share it with me and communications.
- We have issues with the PTO website in terms of accessibility and getting around. We need to change that.
- Will work with Kym to work out details.
- The Board voted on investing money in the website revamp. All voted yes.
- Talk with Kate Schatz “It’s Ok to Talk About Race!” is coming up on Dec 15 at 7:30 pm.
- Share the invitation with your friends.
- Use the application to share your thoughts so that the speaker can cater the talk to the audience.
- It would be beneficial for us to gauge the interest of participants.
Cultural Events Update – Amy Terlecki
- Continuing to work with teachers to organize author visits.
- Will send mail to Dr. Rothera to discuss expectations for author visits.
- Authors for 6th and 7th grades have replied.
- Each grade has a separate assembly.
- Usually, two assemblies are done per year, one in winter and one in spring.
- Teachers in each grade level select a topic for the visits.
Fundraising Update – Versha Shah
- Waiting to hear from Malvern Buttery regarding a fundraising event.
- If we do not hear back, we can come up with a fundraiser in Jan/Feb.
- The board brainstormed other fundraising options.
- Un Kyong: It is interesting to know how other PTOs in the district are working and strategizing money usage.
Parents Social Update – Shilpa Gupta
- Dr. Rothera will take the lead on virtual Coffee meet.
- Shilpa and Chrystele will attend their corresponding grade level Coffee meets to understand the process and be of any help if needed.
- Teacher Luncheon what is the plan? What is the budget for it this year?
- We can send an email to parents to announce and seek funds for teacher and staff appreciation efforts.
- We can send gift cards to teachers and staff after the money has been raised.
Meeting concluded at 8:30 PM