VFMS PTO Meeting Minutes 8/21/2020
Call to order:
Meeting began at 11:00 AM
In attendance were:
- Amy Terlecki
- Un Kyong Ho
- Tereza Keohane
- Heather McConnell
- Danyll Lockett
- Judy Reiter
- Michelle Iwachiw
- Prema Venkatesan
- Matt Gibson
Welcome to our new board members
President – Un Kyong Ho
VP of Communication – Judy Reiter
Joining Versha Shah as a VP of Fundraising – Heather McConnell
Joining Amy Terlecki as a VP of Cultural Arts – Megan Edwards
Update from Treasury:
- PTO typically raises about $32,000/year and expends about $30,000/year, net about $1,500-$2,000/year
- Largest expense is usually for our Cultural Arts program
- Last year we only funded CA through February and we did not have expenses for social events like 8th grade graduation.
- Lower expectations for donations this year, bring up the upgrades to the Auditorium and Audion, ask parent to support Amazon Smile ($200-500/school year), purchase directory etc. in our communications with the parents.
- 20-21 will also have possibly lower expenses.
- At the moment we have a large reserve. Committed 20k to the Auditorium, Audion upgrades. With additional $13k.
Update from Fundraising:
- Welcome new VP of fundraising – Heather McConnell
- Reached out to Renaissance promotions and Tuttle Marketting regarding masks waiting to hear back
- Masks ordering through membership toolkit
- Spiritwear – BSNSportswear.com
- Scholastic book fair – working on, will reach out to teachers and librarians for their lists
- Please notify the treasurer before any fundraisers start.
- Publicizing events/updates through new VP of Communications – Judy Reiter, additional fundraising through Membership toolkit, or Stephanie Crill
- Timeline for fundraisers – depending on the directory release, most should have started, waiting for the directory.
- We will be sending a Direct Donation email / not the mailing because of the expense associated with it – Michelle Iwatchiw and Danyll Lockett will cooperate on the email and it should go to parents second or third week of school.
Update from Mr.Gibson:
- Teachers are returning this week / checking out the classrooms, taking their cameras and materials home. Testing out the process.
- Next week in-service, teachers helping to get ready. Training.
- Todays letterNext week letter, with schedules etc.
- To pickup computer kids do not have to enter school. Pickup under the overhang, steady stream of students easily maintaining distancing so kids can get setup and login to the system.
- School board meeting will determine if TESD the recommendation from PA HHS, following the Chester county guidelines.
- Student account money has been nearly depleted since spring was a bust for fundraisers. Not sure what the PTO can support – possibly multiple small things.
- We are moving forward with the Audion improvements – determination will be made next week as to exactly what the updates need to be. Audion will be used differently.
- First week will be focused on transition and developing presentation and uniform standards for schoology.
- Cultural arts – looking for different “extended interests” in cultural arts. Occasionally use the Advisory time for it. Virtual programs – some are available for free.
- Advisory time will be used for things like: HERO program – anti bullying. Digital citizenship. Music virtual sections. Break into smaller groups with the teachers. Gifted seminars. Special education resource access. Virtual field trips. Virtual assemblies.
- 85 minute blocks will be segmented. Some work will be off screen. Smaller groups. Work for 15 minutes and then 20 minutes off screen work with the book etc. They are coming up with ideas.
- Mental health aspect of being virtual for long time.Chris Groppe and Allan Turk are working closely with the building principals establishing different programs.Lindsay Hannagen – environmental health specialist – introducing herself to children even those with out the obvious need to meet her. The advisory time will be also used for mental health support.
- Andy Mullen and Bob Sola – trying to have the counselors connecting with all the students. It is critical on par with instruction.
- Internet connection for all students. TESD helped most everyone with this need. Mike Szymendera is working on helping everyone with the resources.
Update from Cultural Arts:
- Many virtual cultural arts programs, some even free communication with Jackie Rothera.
- New VP joining Amy Trelecki – Megan Edwards
Meeting ended at 12:00PM
Next meeting scheduled for September 8, 2020 at 12:00 PM