Compiled and edited by Kusuma Muglurmath
Meeting commenced at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- Matt Gibson
- Un Kyong Ho
- Amy Terlecki
- Judy Reiter
- Versha Shah
- Heather McConnell
- Kusuma Muglurmath
Call to order
Principal Gibson’s updates:
- Sports are in session.
- Course selection options for 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grades are coming.
- We are having a meeting to determine transition for 5th graders.
- No decision yet for high school move up day.
- PSSA option – more families need to make their selection so that we can act accordingly.
- Open to ideas regarding 8th grade graduation. Suggestion from families are welcome.
- Brainstorming ideas for a gathering and a ceremony outdoor.
- A lot of plans depend upon the virus and county guidelines.
- We are working with elementary and high school so that we do not overlap in terms of events.
- Many thanks to VFMS PTO cultural arts efforts – Dr. Beal’s visit was fantastic.
- The topic of resilience resonated in her words.
- We had a lot of positive feedback from children.
- Students asked many, very good questions.
- A number of families have called with requests to send kids checking if they can send their child for face-face instruction.
- Each request has been evaluated based upon their circumstances and demonstrated needs.
- We want to work with families in this regard and come to the best possible solution.
- Gym programs are incorporating more outdoor activities if the group is big.
- Lunches are 6 feet apart. Dr. Rothera works very hard to come up with plans to make it safe for the kids.
- We are continuing to do screening, and it has been effective.
- If teachers notice illness in a child, they have sent them to the nurse for further advice.
- School nurses Barb and Jenna have done a wonderful job during this unprecedented time.
- We may have a grade level meeting in late April to wrap things up for the year and provide an outlook for the next year.
Communications Report – Judy Reiter
Working with Kym for ongoing website matters.
Fundraising report – Versha Shah and Heather McConnell
- Teacher appreciation week(May 3) planning is done.
- Monday: Continental breakfast.
- Tuesday: Soft pretzels.
- Wednesday: Kona ice.
- Thursday: Boxed lunch from Elegant cafe.
- Friday: Large take home pizza. Was looking at the Nothing Bundt cake option as well.
- Ordered trophies and T-shirts for spring strides winners.
- The Builders club raffle night was filled with action.
- The raffle generated $1000 after the cost.
- Half of that amount, $550 will be credited to the PTO.
Un Kyong: Working on an idea on virtual Kahoot for Trivia night. Talking with the TEMS PTO president.
Cultural Events report – Amy Terlecki
- Dr. Melba Pattillo Beals’ visit was very successful and well liked.
- Author Visit – Linda Malaley Hunt for 5th and 7th grade. She has a book on the summer reading list.
President’s updates – Un Kyong Ho
- Soliciting thank you msgs for teachers and staff through google forms.
- A link will be provided through the PTO blast.
- Families and students can share their thoughts by submitting their thank notes of appreciation for teachers and staff.
- Looking for new board members for next school year.
Meeting concluded at 8:30 PM