VFMS PTO Board Meeting Notes
September 19, 2016
Call to Order
- The meeting began at 12pm. In attendance were Ankur Kashyap, Sarah Culbert, Jennifer Newhall, Natalie Sudall, Dalia Osman, Demer Holleran, Tina Webb, Karen Vadner, Tereza Keohane, Stacy Pelligrini, Emily Brunner and Jamie Lynch.
The new board members and committee volunteers introduced themselves.
Update from Treasurer –
- Please see attached financial statements.
- 30 ipads were purchased over the summer for the school, which depleted the bank account.
- A request was made to Matt Gibson to have PTO cash boxes stored at the school. Mr. Gibson will discuss with his staff and get back to the board.
Update from VP Fundraising
- The school has multiple programs which need funding including new library furniture, new water bottle fountains, laptops and iPads amongst others. In addition to these items the PTO also funds the Cultural Arts program, which include activities such as visiting authors, artists, and performance groups. The PTO will be starting a direct donations campaign to ensure we help the school meet its goals. The board is working through the final list of initiatives that the PTO will help support. A final decision was not made as to how to accomplish our goals but will be in place as quickly as possible.
- The Book Fair for the Fall will be November 12-13th at Barnes and Noble. A portion of the proceeds from book and cheesecake sales will be donated to the VFMS PTO by Barnes and Noble.
Update on Volunteers and Communications
- Many of the committee chair positions have been filled, however we are still in need of a few volunteers.
- Walk to School day coordinator is still needed, however the date has been set. The event will take place on October 11th along with the Valley Forge Elementary Walk to School day. This date is different from the National Walk to School day, due to ERB testing.
Update from VP Social
- The 7th and 8th Fall dance took place on September 16th.
- Planning for grade coffee will begin soon.
Update from Cultural Arts
- The well know children’s author Kwami Alexander will be visiting the school on October 14th in collaboration with the summer reading assignment. Kwami will be available for autographs and pictures in the library before his presentation to the students. There will be a 7/8th grade assembly at 12:15 pm and a 5/6th grade assembly at 1:30 pm.
Update from Matt Gibson
- The children and teachers are off to a good start. The 5th graders seem to have adjusted well.
- The earlier curriculum night was well appreciated by parents, in the future they will try not to have 5/6th and 7/8th curriculum nights back to back.
- The first dance was well attended and the behavior of the children was very positive. The new lights, provided by the student council, were a big hit with the students and chaperones.
- Mr. Gibson provided the board a list of request for the school and students. The board will review the request and determine the best way to proceed.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 pm.