Call to Order
- The meeting began at 12pm. In attendance were Sarah Culbert, Frani Aufiero, Marine Havel, Jennifer Newhall, Natalie Sudall, Michelle Rossi, Kristin Courtney, Dalia Osman, Matt Gibson, Cinda Marturano
Update from Treasurer –
Update from Cultural Arts
- A school wide assembly for Step Africa will be held March 3rd with an evening show at Radnor High School Friday night, March 4th.
- We will have a visiting author, Kwami Alexander, to coordinate with the district summer reading. He will be at VMFS during the 2 week period of 10/10 – 10/17.
- We are also trying to author, Mark Peter Hughes, for an assembly during the May testing for all grades.
Update from Matt Gibson
- John Halligan gave a presentation to the 6th, 7th and 8th graders on bullying and suicide. He was well received by all students. In the evening he also gave a presentation to the parents. We hope to have him come every 3 years so that all students will have an opportunity to hear his message.
- Niche.com has rated VFMS as the number 1 middle school in Pennsylvania and 7th in the national ranking.
- Wall of Heart fundraising will start February.
- The school play, Seussical will be held on March 11th and 12th
- PASSA testing will be in April.
- 8th grade course selection night will be January 28th
- A request was put to the District Education Committee to add a 4th counselor to accommodate for growing students population.
- Cinda Marturano – will be attending the District Facility meetings and will keep the board updated on the traffic flow issues as they are discussed.
- Matt shared with the board that Capt. Brian Kennedy, who perished in the January 14th military helicopter crash, was a student at Valley Forge middle school and Conestoga high school.
- There has been a request that PTO minutes become more available to parents. The minutes will be posted on the PTO website going forward.
Update on Volunteers and Communications – Marine Havel
- The Meet and Greet sign-ups are available on the website.
- Anyone interested in receiving the PTO Blast can sign-up using our website.
- All PTO Board meeting minutes going forward will be added to the website.
- We would like to add a useful links/resources page similar to the ARCH website to our website.
Update from VP Fundraising – (given by Natalie and Sarah)
- Direct donation solicitation – to date we have received $10,612 from 114 families, an increase year to date over last years donations as well as an increase in average donation per family.
Update from VP Social – provide by Sarah Culbert
- Meet and Greet for the all grades are all set-up, invitations have been sent and a reminder will go out by grade from the guidance counselors to encourage participations.
- VFMS 50th Anniversary – we need to create a committee to work on the action items:
- Create a page on the website – illustrating the history of the school, and notable alumni.
- Need help to scanning pictures and articles from the past 50 years of the school, and prepare a collage of the decades.
- Event to commemorate the Anniversary on May 13th — still looking to confirm the details.
- Dana Dienno will chair the Teacher Appreciation luncheon this year.
Update from the President – Sarah Culbert
- There will be a Sleep Forum on February 21st at Radnor Middle School from 2-4pm with 4 speakers on effects of sleep deprivation on students.
- T/E’s Got Talent, fundraiser for ARCH on March 31st Talent show casing the talent of teachers and administrators. Each school is asked to put forward 2-3 acts.
- We will be donating $150 each to Arch, FLITE and CAPCO.
- Open Board positions will be added to the Blast.
- Volunteer security clearance requirements have been adjusted for volunteers who have one on one interaction with students, such as chaperones for field trips.
- ISC meeting presented a spending per student break down by district, see attached.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:44pm.