The meeting began at 1pm. All board members were present with the exception of Stephanie Anstine, Jo Howarth, Lisa Davis and Surekha Bhat.
Bridget opened the meeting and gave the Principal’s report as Mr. Gibson was unable to attend.
Principal Update – Bridget Tomasicchio
- The new buzzer security system is working well.
- A speaker will be coming to Radnor Middle School to speak to parents regarding the issue of bullying. Valley Forge Middle School parents are invited to attend. The speaker is scheduled to come to VFMS on May 9th to speak to the students about bullying.
- There is no update about the proposed robotics program for our school at this time. The Tech Ed Department at Conestoga High School will be discussing the possibility of a program for VFMS.
Treasurer’s Report – Lisa Murphy
- Teachers’ gifts have been distributed. Full-time staff members received $50 and part-time staff members received $25. A letter of thanks was included with the checks. Three full-time staff members including a Speech Therapist, Social Worker and Psychologist were added this year as approved by the Board. A total of 76 checks were written – 69 full-time and 7 part-time.
- A copy of the budget to date was distributed. The amount allocated for the Ice Cream Social will be increased next year from $400 to $700 to accommodate the additional cost of a dj.
- Family donations are $13,402 for the year so far. This is an increase over donations of $12,202 for the previous year.
Cultural Arts – Michelle Rossi
- The district has provided $1000 for Cultural Arts this year.
- The “Renaissance Man” program will be presented on March 11.
- DELTA will present the “Ball in the House” program in the spring, however, the date conflicts with the VFMS 5/6 grade play.
President Update – Bridget Tomasicchio
- Bridget will be speaking with someone at the district level about addressing the traffic issues at VFMS during dropoff and pickup.
- German/Latin Night was budgeted for $300 for food. The actual cost was $425 due to a larger than expected turnout. This additional cost will come out of the PTO budget.
- We have received a request for a Golden Apple Grant for a scavenger hunt to teach 5th graders how to read maps. The request was not approved.
- Bridget asked Kathy to contact current committee chairs to determine if they are planning to volunteer next year as well, and she agreed to do so.
- Battle of the Bands – Mr. DiMarino and Mr. Gonci will be organizing a musical program for the student bands/musicians to participate in on March 22. Lisa Murphy has agreed to help with coordinating this event.
- Health Fair – It is scheduled for 4/9-11 and 4/16-18 during PSSAs. A request for volunteers was in the last Blast, and a number of parents have offered to help with various exercise classes, reading blood pressure, etc. Dr. Kahn asked for an activity at the start of the day to get the students energized to take the test. Bridget would like to have a photographer for the Health Fair. Elizabeth offered to help if we do not have a volunteer for this.
- Parent Social – Bridget would like a board member to volunteer to coordinate the PTO gift basket for the Parent Social this year. The date for the Parent Social is being moved to the end of April.
Socials – Deb Riener
- Ice Cream Social – A number of people have signed up via IVolunteer to work the Book Fair; however they still need people to work the night of the Ice Cream Social on March 5. Ben Ostroff has been hired as the DJ for the event at a cost of $300. We now need volunteers to help with scooping ice cream and running the basketball. Deb will send an email to Kathy for iVolunteer regarding the event. We will have a table set up to recruit potential PTO board and committee members for positions that are open. Kathy, Deb and Lisa offered to staff the table.
Issues and Affairs – Elizabeth Castleman
- The new security system installed at T/E schools is working well.
- Teachers’ Union was successful in a grievance filed against the use of online classes. No online classes are approved for credit in T/E at this time.
The next PTO Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, 4/2/13 from 1-2:30pm.