Compiled and edited by Kusuma Muglurmath
Meeting commenced at 7:00 PM
In attendance were:
- Un Kyong Ho
- Amy Terlecki
- Emily Carteen
- Versha Shah
- Kusuma Muglurmath
- Tereza Keohane
- Jenny Ham-Roberts
- Judith Reiter
- Lucy Bennett
- Megan Edwards
- Amy Saylor
- Jeanne Braun
Call to order
The board welcomed all new members.
New Member introductions
Two children at VFMS. Older son is in 7th grade, and my daughter is in 5th grade.
Erica Dawson is partnering with me. DEI (Diversity, equity and inclusion)are issues dear to my heart. Have lots on our shoulders. We are happy to start the ball rolling.
Equity initiative meeting with Dr. Torres went very well. Dr. Torres talked about uncomfortable conversations which we cannot sweep under the rug.
Communications are continuing. We believe that this is a process. Happy to be here. This is a great cause. Dr. Guisick and Dr. Torres are very supportive of this initiative.
Un Kyong: There have been a lot of calls from the community, they have been in the process from the past 3 years.
President’s Updates: Un Kyong Ho
- Thank you Anjali for stepping up into the treasurer’s shoes.
- Thanks to Lucy, now everyone has a common PTO account where everyone has that email.
- This will improve our communications moving forward.
- Community conversation is a partnership of both middle schools.
- We split the costs.
- We are hoping to continue this year as well.
- The Jordan Shapiro assembly was an incredible program.
- I recommend listening to the conversation. It introduces positive points to parents to handle screen time in a healthy way, setting healthy parameters.
- I would like to keep these events virtual.
- Thanks Amy for attending.
Amy: Shapiro talk points that I liked – “Give them the tools to handle things in an effective way”. There are tips in the books as to how parents should encourage kids to use social media in a positive way.
- The event was partnered with TE libraries. We also get donations from the audience. We get 20-23% of the proceeds.
- We need to make sure that everyone(board members) can receive the VFMSPTO emails.
- Judy, Lucy and Un Kyong partner up and meet with Kym to resolve the issues such as personal names linked to previous PTO post holders.
- We need to have it linked to any person rather than it being tied to the title only.
Green recycling project:
- Delegating has not been easy. I am working on it and things are in progress.
- The first big drive is after the holidays — Christmas light recycle. Stacy from TEMS has been instrumental in this process.
Lucy: We can have a kids component where kids make instructions to recycle.
Anjali will send updates
Cultural Arts Report – Amy Terlecki and Megan Edwards
- Anjali and I have heard nothing from the teachers yet.
- We were planning on splitting this event with New Eagle, and we were combining grades. If we cannot combine grades, we need to check with the district.
- Author Nathan Hale’s visit costs $4000.
- Mr. Gibson covers $2000.
- If nothing works and if teachers wanted, we could do kids interactive theater again.
- The cost is $675 for one grade, and $800 for two grades.
- Teachers have not responded yet.
Fundraising Report – Versha Shah and Emily Carteen
Emily Carteen: The vaccination clinic was festive and awesome. There were a lot of walk-ins as they sent out email that they had extra 100 doses of vaccines.
Second one is on Nov 30th.
- Sweet Jazmines Muffin Batter fundraiser sold out. Thanks to PTO and social media blasts which boosted the sales.
- We sold 85 kits.
- We estimate to raise around $400.
- We should plan something with the business for spring.
- Volunteers/VPs post Ads response – some are sending in their interests.
- The water bottles were delivered yesterday and they look fantastic.
- Estimating $700 in profits.
- We should have these for sale next year during schedule pick up and hold a splash sale.
- Spirit Wear – Stoga graphics had supply chain issues and was delayed.
I asked a local brewery if they could hold a beer tasting event for parents.
We could sell tickets. Beer tasting, dinner combo — holiday gift sale for the event to occur in Jan.
Lucy: The Brewery can seat 50-60 people.
We could do similar things with pizza places with the same concept.
Other ideas include, tea tasting, coffee tasting etc.
- We need to make small committees to work with each of these operations.
- We can have all the events on the same day, catering to many different groups of people at the same time.
- We also need to have a back up plan if we sell ahead of time and if pandemic numbers go up after Christmas.
- We choose 3-4 events and focus tightly on it.
- We really have pivoted this to the local businesses and made it work for both the community and the school community.
- We need to check with Mr. Gibson if alcohol can be involved in fundraising.
Versha – Spirit Wear:
- The designer is researching graphic design.
- They are having supply chain problems. It may only happen in spring time, not in December.
- Emily and I will work together and have this go in the blast.
- We should put this in the blast stating to be tuned for new spirit wear coming up in spring.
- Reason for the delay in direct donations – Traditionally all our donations came from direct donations. We have already asked for a lot of money from parents. It may be best to ask by mail in the beginning of the year as opposed to the holiday season.
- I am making a list of local charities that people can donate to.
- People will want to know about local charities as many families may not know them.
- We could also make it a link that will take them to the PTO website which contains the list and people could also choose to donate to PTO and being on the website makes it one step easier for donators.
- We should send it in the blast for two or three weeks so that it catches the attention of families.
- We can send that list out and add a note to give to PTO as well.
Socials: Amy Saylor
- We have the teachers luncheon next month. Would like to understand the budget for the event.
- Do we do fundraising/luncheon?
- How can we include and inform custodial staff about the luncheon?
- Should we have a boxed or a traditional luncheon?
- Be creative, work with Mr. Gibson and Mrs.Hickey to make it happen.
- Should we get donations from parents in terms of bags of chips etc?
- Work with Judy and Kym to have a web signup sheet. However you have done in the past whatever you are comfortable with will be brilliant.
Communications report – Judy Reiter
Will work with Kym to resolve calendar issues.
PTO blasts: Lucy Bennet
- Please send items that need to go in the blast by Wednesday.
- Thanks to Versha and Emily for being very helpful in terms of sending info for the blasts during the recent fundraising.
Meeting concluded at 9:00 PM
Next Meeting : Dec 7, 2021