Dear Valley Forge Middle School Parents:
We hope that you continue to be safe and healthy and are adjusting to this new virtual learning environment! During these unique and challenging times, the VFMS PTO hopes for your continued support to help fund important development and enrichment programs for our children. They are more necessary than ever. We are officially in the full swing of hybrid instruction and continue to work with Mr. Gibson and the teachers to identify ways to adapt our programs to meet current needs.
Historically, we have relied on Direct Parent Donations and Matching Gifts from employers as the majority of our funding. Unfortunately, we are down 70% from this time last year. The following programs are only possible with your support:
- Cultural Arts Program and Author Visits/Talks: The VFMS PTO funds 90% of the cultural arts expenses each year. We sponsor assemblies for each grade and author visits to benefit the entire school population. We are working on a robust and creative cultural arts program that can be delivered virtually this year.
- Golden Apple Grants: These grants support teacher and student initiatives and enrich the educational experience at VFMS. In past years, we have funded iPads to assist the teachers with remote learning lessons, new virtual reality classroom programs, Apple TVs to enhance instruction, LifePrint cameras for the Library, and books, games for the classrooms.
- VFMS Needs: We work closely with Mr. Gibson and the staff to fund requests for student programs, and to improve the building facilities. Some recent examples include new library furniture and a Tower Garden. For the past few years, we have been working to raise money to fund much needed technology upgrades for the Audion and Auditorium. The Audion is a heavily used room often for combined classroom meetings, student and parent presentations, and a meeting room for clubs and athletics. This year, it has served a particular purpose by increasing the ability to socially distance our students.
The VFMS PTO is a 501c3 organization making your contributions 100% tax deductible and eligible for most employer’s matching gifts programs. Company matching gifts are an excellent way to maximize contributions to the VFMS PTO. In fact, depending on the company, employer matching gifts can double or even triple the original donor’s gift! We have compiled a list of participating employers in the area, many of whom have supported the PTO in the past. This list can be found on our website as well as at the end of this letter. Any matching gift documentation that needs to be completed can be sent to the school to the attention of the Assistant Treasurer or e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is only a partial list of participating companies and that you should check with your HR departments about your employer’s match.
To support our school and its programming, please consider making a donation today. You can contribute using this convenient online form: https://vfmspto.membershiptoolkit.com/packet/2388 or you may mail your donation along with this form to the school.
A special thanks to all of the parents who have already made your donations! We are grateful for your continued support during this unusual and challenging year! We wish you and your family a continued happy and healthy school year.
The Valley Forge Middle School PTO Board
Un Kyong Ho – President
Michelle Iwachiw – Treasurer
Heather McConnell – VP Fundraising
Versha Shah – VP Fundraising
Kusuma Muglurmath – Secretary
Amy Terlecki – VP Cultural Arts
Megan Edwards – VP Cultural Arts
Tereza Keohane – Golden Apple Grants
Stephanie Crill – Directory Admin
Tracy Simpson – VP Communications
Judy Reiter – VP Communications
Chrystele Baden Desouza – VP Social
Shilpa Gupta – VP Social
Tracy Grigoriades – Blast Coordinator
Colleen Barth – Box Tops Coordinator
Please remember to enclose any necessary matching grant paperwork!
Companies Matching Donations
- Bank of America Matching Gift Program
- CVS Employee Volunteer Program Grants – Volunteer Challenge Grants are awarded on behalf of individuals who volunteer 15, 25 or 100 or more hours of service, to teams that volunteer more than 50 hours of service. https://cvshealth.com/sites/default/files/cvs-health-foundation-volunteer-challenge-grant-guidelines-2020.pdf
- GSK Employee Volunteer Program (www.easymatch.com/gsk)
- Merck Matching Gift Program
- Pfizer Matching Gift Program/Pfizer Foundation Volunteer Program:
- Johnson and Johnson
- Lincoln Financial Group
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Philadelphia Insurance Companies